Welcome to the website of Carlisle Liberal Democrats; here to work for you and to offer solutions to the problems facing our city and our communities.
England's rivers and lakes are in a terrible condition due to sewage discharges. Water companies discharged raw sewage 400,000 times in 2020. This is detrimental to our precious wildlife as well our own health.
The Conservatives have failed to tackle the sewage problem properly. Whilst the Government eventually caved to pressure and amended the Environment Act to do something about sewage discharges, it was nowhere near enough.
The Government's proposals have no meaningful targets or timescales for reducing sewage discharges by water companies and sets no duties on water companies to clean up the mess they've already made.
Liberal Democrats DEMAND BETTER and are calling for:
- A Sewage Tax to force water companies to contribute from their massive profits to cleaning up the damage caused by sewage discharges.
- Reducing the number of licences the Environment Agency gives to water companies permitting them to discharge raw sewage into waterways.
- Setting meaningful targets and deadlines for water companies to end sewage discharges into waterways.
- Adding local environmental groups onto water companies' boards, to support water companies in their duties to protect and enhance the environment.
- The promotion of a "public benefit company" model for water companies, so that economic and environmental policy objectives are also considered when running the company rather.
Click here to find out more about the incidents in your area and to sign a petition for a sewage tax.
- Brian Wernham - Candidate for Stanwix Urban
- Tim Pickstone - Candidate for Longtown
- Cumbria Lib Dems Demand Better for Our Rivers
- Roger Dobson - County Councillor for Corby & Hayton
- Save our rivers: stop water companies polluting the Esk and Eden with raw sewage
- Climate Change Emergency
- Joined up Mental Health Care for the Young
- Climate Change causes Flooding
- Free school meal for all primary school children
- Better, more affordable and greener transport for Carlisle